There are probably infinite type of errors Windows can end up giving. No matter how many you solve, there always will be one waiting for you. You can try solving the Windows 10 update error code 0x80240fff with the help of following steps:
1. Postpone updates
This solution is available for Windows 10 Pro users.
- Go to Windows Update Settings
- Click on Advanced Options at the bottom of the page
- Toggle Defer Upgrades.
This should fix the problem by changing your Windows Update server. However, updates will be postponed.
2. Use the media creation tool
Use the Media Creation Tool to download the latest Windows 10 updates to your machine. You can immediately choose to upgrade your PC and Windows will do it for you automatically. As you all know there are no other upgrade options available for Windows 10 Home, you can choose this option
3. Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
You can try built-in troubleshooters that help resolve common technical issues, including Windows 10 update issues.
- Go to Settings
- Click on Update & Security
- Click on Troubleshoot
- Under Windows update, click on Run the troubleshooter
4. Restart Background Intelligent Transfer Services
- Press the Windows key + R key and type services.msc in the text box.
- Find Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) in the list.
- Right-click on the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) service, and then click Properties.
- In the General tab, next to the start type, ensure Automatic (Delay Start) is selected. If not, select it, and then click Apply.
- Next to the service status, check if the service has started. If not, click Start.
5. Reset Windows Update components
- Click on start button, type CMD cmd, right click and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Click Yes when asked for permissions.
- Stop Bits, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and Windows Update services by typing the following commands (press Enter after each command):
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
Rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder by typing the following commands at the command prompt (as usual, press Enter after each command):
- Ren C:WindowssoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- Ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 Catroot2.old
Restart Bits, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and Windows Update services. Press Enter after each one and type the following commands at the command prompt:
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- net start msiserver
4. Close the command prompt
5. Try running Windows Updates again to see if the error persists.
6. Disable antivirus / antivirus / firewall protection
Sometimes your security software (firewall, antivirus, antivirus tools) may block the Windows update. The quickest and simplest solution to these problems is to suspend these programs. Try reinstalling the latest Windows updates to see if this solution fixes your problem.
Don’t forget to turn on these programs as soon as you’re done to make sure your system is protected from cyber-attacks.
7. Disable your VPN software
Some users have confirmed that disabling VPN software may help resolve the 0x80240fff error. So, if you are using VPN software, disable it and check for updates.
We hope that your problem related to Windows 10 update error code 0x80240fff has been resolved. We would love to hear your opinions and suggestions in the comments below