The main part of developing a new mobile game is the interface designing and making it accessible to consumers. The User Interface (UI) design is an important aspect that affects the gameplay, user experience, and game theme.
When they talk about UI game design, they tend to confuse it with a similar term – User Experience. Even though they overlap, their purposes differ. While UX is focused on user experience, UI happens to be the visual interface design that is utilized to interact with the app. This kind of designer is to develop elements and screens while making sure that the UI design communicates the UX design. Also, they are responsible for providing a consistent design language across the game.
A Few Tips for UI Design in Mobile
Below, you can find eight tips that you can use as a part of the game UI design tutorial:
- The User Interface must be intuitive. A UI is considered to be successful if it is clear to the users and meets their expectations. Buttons, for instance, are important when it comes to creating smooth navigation. Hence, it is vital to design the shape, size, and position of the buttons so that users could easily find them. The same is true for the other features in the game.
- A great UI communicates the essential information clearly and quickly. It is possible to get a cleaner and tighter appearance if there are icons instead of text. Furthermore, such a solution will help avoid issues connected with translating the game into various languages. For instance, when translated into another language, the text may be too long for the button. It can spoil the overall design of the game.
- Screen resolution. If items that are rich in details look wonderful at a computer resolution, it does not mean that they are going to look great on mobile. Thus, game design services do their best not to overburden the design of the game they are developing and utilize the Navigator in Photoshop to see how a certain item looks in different sizes.
- Importing a game from computer to mobile. When doing that, it is crucial not to forget that in mobile, the user`s finger places the tools on the computer. Consequently, it is necessary to design the entertainment so that it matches the new format.
- The colors should be suitable. The colors are to be used not only as an aesthetic design element but as a logical tool as well. If they use green or red on the buttons, they will have a commonly accepted meaning, and designers should never forget about it.
- Continuity. There are many ways of presenting various functions. For an exit button, for example, it is possible to utilize an exit arrow, an X, or a door icon. Thus, it is a bad idea to use different symbols for the same button in one game because it may confuse the consumer. The solution is to choose the same way to show the same function throughout the game.
- Font. You should always choose the font that is readable on any screen regardless of its size. Thick fonts tend to work better in all sizes because it is not hard to read and understand them, while it is not possible to say the same regarding thinner fonts.
- Maps. The purpose of this feature is to help the player see the progress in the game and to assist them in finding different features. Therefore, it is better to utilize a simple-looking trail while the map is to continue the game`s design language. That is why it is important to take into account the buttons and their placing when creating the map.
The provided above tips should help you design UI in mobile games easily. All you need to remember is that you should make it clear, simple, and colorful to make sure that consumers will get an outstanding gaming experience.