Have you ever come across this situation that you can’t open JPG files in Windows 10 when trying to open them?
Actually, it happens frequently to Windows 10 users. Do you know how to resolve it? Please keep reading to get an answer.
Table of Contents
Why You Can’t open JPG Files in Windows 10
JPG is a commonly used image file format. It is widely used in most systems and devices due to its good compatibility. What photo viewer do you use to open image files? Besides the Photos app, the default image viewer in Windows 10, there are many third-party Apps to view or edit JPG files actually.
But why Windows 10 can’t open JPG files? generally speaking, you may encounter this issue in these circumstances:
- 1. You have a problematic file system.
- The system files may be corrupted or missing.
- Windows 10 is outdated.
- Photo viewer Apps need to be updated.
- The JPG files are corrupted.
- Viruses and malware infection.
Except for these reasons, there are other unknown causes leading to Windows 10 failing to open JPG files. Fortunately, we are going to share some proven ways to help you open JPG files in Windows 10. Let’s have a look.
What to Do When You Can’t Open JPG Files Windows 10
Method 1. Rename the JPG File
When Windows 10 is denied to open JPG files, the first measure you can take is to rename the JPG files without changing the file extension. Then, reopen it to see if it works.
If the error still happens, please move on to the next solution.
Method 2. Use a Third-party Photo Viewer
If you can’t open JPG files in Windows 10 with Photos App, you can choose a third-party photo viewer app to have a try, like Paint. If you can visit the JPG files with this photo viewer, it means Photos App is the cause, needing fixing or updating.
Method 3. Repair Photos App
- 1. Go to Settings by pressing Windows + I.
- Click Apps, and then Apps & features.
- Locate and click the Microsoft Photos app. Then, click Advanced options.
- Under the Reset section, click Reset.
- Or, you can click Repair if the Photos app is not working.
Method 4 Update Windows Photos App
Check if the Photos app is needing to be updated.
- 1. Click Start and choose Microsoft Store.
- Then, click the Settings icon > Download and Updates.
- You can check whether Photos App is in the Available Updates list. If you can find it, click Get Updates to update it.
Method 5. Update Windows 10 to the Latest
The newest version of Windows 10 may supply you with solutions to the bugs. In this way, Photos will be reinstalled, and Windows 10 will be able to open JPG files normally.
- 1. Click Start > Settings.
- Click Updates & Security, and then Windows Update > Check for updates.
- If you can see available Windows updates, choose one and follow the instruction to finish the update.
Method 6. Run Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter
Windows Store Apps troubleshooter is a Windows inbuilt tool to provide you with the opportunity to troubleshoot issues preventing Store apps from working. Thus, you can try running Windows Store Apps troubleshooter to fix the error as long as the photo viewer is downloaded from Microsoft Store.
- In Settings window, click Updates & Security > Troubleshot.
- Scroll down to find Windows Store Apps. Click it and click Run the troubleshooter under it.
Method 7. Run SFC
SFC, short for System File Checker, is a built-in tool to scan and fix errors regarding system files, which may cause photo viewers to work abnormally.
How to run SFC:
- Input cmd in the search box. Press Enter and choose Run as administrator.
- Type this command sfc /scannow and press Enter.
- Then, the command will scan the drive to detect and fix found errors relating to system files automatically.
Method 8. Repair Corrupted JPG Files
You will not open the JPG files if they have been corrupted already, not the reason of photo viewer, system error or something else. In this circumstance, you have to repair the corrupted JPG files with professional image repair tools, such as JPEG Repair Toolkit.
Method 9. Run Anti-virus Scan
Viruses and malware may be the causes for the error you can’t open JPG files in Windows 10 normally. I guess you have installed anti-virus Apps, like Windows Defender. Just run it to scan your computer to remove detected viruses and malware.
What If You Deleted Important Images by Mistake?
It’s inevitable that something important may be deleted by improper operation. If you can’t find them in recycle bin, how to restore deleted photos by yourself?
Don’t worry. You have a chance to recover deleted photos as well as other files by using a reliable data recovery program for Windows, such MiniTool Power Data Recovery. You can recover kinds of files as long as they are not covered by newly added data.
Reading here, I guess you have gotten the answers to how to do when you can’t open JPG files in Windows 10. So, just choose suitable ones to have a try. Hope you can work it out.