The outbreak of the novel COVID-19 has brought this fast-paced world to a standstill. The global pandemic has induced extensive health and socio-economic crisis in the past two years in developing as well as the developed countries. Pakistan is currently facing a jump in the positivity rate to 8.64% that stands beyond one’s comprehension. If the same trend continues, the situation might fall out of our hands. According to studies, the delta variant is much more infectious compared to the prior variants.
With the fourth wave currently on the rise, the delta variant has been attributed as the driving force. While the disease pattern remains similar, the intensity of symptoms, rate of disease progression, recovery time, and fatality has shown variation.
If you think you are experiencing any COVID-related symptoms, you must seek medical assistance from a Pulmonologist in Lahore at your earliest.
Table of Contents
Symptoms are almost the same with their varied intensity, usually augmented. These may include:
- Dry cough
- Body aches or headache
- Sore throat
- Loss of taste or smell
- A rash on the skin, or discoloration of fingers or toes
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- Chest pain or pressure
- Loss of speech or movement
WHAT CAN I DO TO PREVENT IT?
Amid this highly infectious period, World Health Organisation (WHO) and other healthcare bodies have passed strict recommendations for the public to comply with every single preventive measure to resist the spread of the virus.
- Wearing a mask, gloves, and maintaining a distance of about six feet is the most basic one which MUST be followed.
- Cover your nose and mouth with your sleeves (not hands) or tissue while sneezing or coughing.
- Wash your hands more often for about 20 seconds.
- Ensure avoiding crowded places or physical contact with people around you such as shaking hands or hugging.
- It is better to contact your local health authorities from home rather than rushing to the hospital with mild symptoms or other health issues.
- Also, disinfect your house (areas that are most likely to be infected) every once in a while to make sure you have much lesser chances of getting infected.
- Improve your diet by increasing the consumption of vegetables and fruits to strengthen your immune system.
‘I RECENTLY MET A COVID-POSITIVE INDIVIDUAL – WHAT DO I DO NEXT?
In case of exposure to a covid patient, you must immediately isolate yourself until you test negative. Contact nearby health care centers and ask whether you should get tested or not. Avoid going out for a few days, preferably two weeks, and ask someone to bring you supplies. If you manifest any symptoms, start the prescribed medications immediately. However, you must urgently seek medical help in case of severity; difficulty breathing, loss of speech or mobility, confusion, or chest pain, etc.
HOW HELPFUL ARE THE VACCINES?
Taking into consideration the current situation, vaccination should be your immediate priority. Despite the protection coverage offered by all the vaccines, it is still essential to get fully vaccinated against SARS CoV2 before resuming work or public exposure. It is the only way to acquire some immunity against the virus. According to statistics, vaccines from China (Sinopharm/Sinovac) and the USA (Pfizer/Moderna) have turned out to be the most effective for this current variant.
COVID-19 is a serious threat to your health. Slight recklessness can cost you your health thus reach out to a Pulmonologist in Karachi if you think you are experiencing severe viral symptoms.