Skyrim, or The Elder Scrolls V, is a high-rated action RPG for Windows. However, some players have posted on the Steam forum about an error that appears when starting the game. Below steps for “Skyrim failed to initialize renderer”.
The error message is: Your display doesn’t support the selected resolution. Please set a different resolution in Skyrim’s Launcher under Display Settings.
How to fix Skyrim’s failure to initialize renderer error?
1. Configure Skyrim to match the resolution of your PC
Failed to initialize render error when game resolution did not match your display resolution.
- To fix it, open Skyrim’s launcher</strong>.
- Select options to open more display settings.
- In the drop-down menu, select the setting that best suits your PC’s current resolution.
- Press the Apply button.
Read More: Where are Minecraft screenshots saved?
2. Play Skyrim in window mode
Some players have reported that they have fixed the error by selecting Skyrim’s windowed mode option
- To do so, open the display settings for Skyrim as described above. Select the Windows Mode check box option.
- Click Apply to save the new setting.
- Check if the issue is solved</strong>.
3. Delete two Skyrim game files
- Try deleting some Skyrim game files to reset game preferences. First, open File Explorer.
- Open the Steam folder.
- Right-click on the Appcache sub-folder in the Steam folder to select Delete.
- Next, open your Skyrim game folder.
- Hold down the Ctrl key to select the Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini files.
- Click the Delete button to delete the selected files.
- Restart your PC and launch Skyrim.
4. Update your graphics card driver
- Download and install IObit Driver Booster from their website.
- After installing, open the app, click on scan to check all the outdated drivers.
- After scanning, the app will display a list of outdated drivers found on a computer.
- Click on update all to update the outdated drivers. this may take 10 to 15 minutes depending upon the size of drivers being installed.
- After all the drivers have been updated, restart your computer to make changes into effect.
5. Disable Skyrim mode files
To make sure that game mods don’t clash with Skyrim, disable them.
- Open the Skyrim Game Launcher.
- Click Data Files to open the window shown below.
- Uncheck all selected mode checkboxes.
- Instead, select the mod checkboxes; Click the Delete button.
- Press the OK button.
These are resolutions that address the Skyrim Failed to initialize renderer error for players. Adjusting the resolution settings for the game or on your VDU (Visual Display Unit) usually fixes the error.
Also Read: How to Uninstall Heroes of The Storm